Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

LAST UPDATED 17 January 2023

This article is written by Pet Circle veterinarian, Dr Samantha Wycherley BVSC

The answer to this one is a definite no! Dogs are unable to eat grapes or raisins as they can cause toxicity and lead to kidney failure.

Why Are Grapes Toxic?
What Are The Signs Of Toxicity
What Do I Do If My Dog Has Eaten Grapes?
Are There Any Safe Fruits For Dogs To Eat?

Why are grapes toxic?

Grapes have been known to cause dogs to develop kidney failure. This can be life threatening.

Vets are still not 100% sure what it is about grapes and raisins that causes the toxicity however a recent theory suggests that tartaric acid may be the culprit.

There are no known safe levels of grapes for a dog to eat.

What are the signs of grape toxicity?

Dogs will often develop diarrhoea or vomiting within 24 hours after ingestion. This can then progress to lethargy and excess water intake and urination.

What do I do if my dog has eaten grapes?

If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins the best thing to do is to contact your vet immediately so they can hopefully induce vomiting before the grapes have time to cause any damage.

They may also suggest supportive treatment such as intravenous fluid therapy as well as blood testing to monitor kidney values.

Are there any safe fruits for my dog to eat?

The good news is that there are plenty of tasty fruits out there that ARE safe for your pup to eat! If your dog is craving a sweet summer treat you can feed them blueberries, watermelon or cucumber safely.

If your pup has a sweet tooth you can check out some of our sweeter varieties of dog treats on offer.

Sweet Treats For Dogs

Further Reading

Want to read more? Check out our other articles:

Can Dogs Eat Apples?

Can Dogs Eat Watermelon?

Can Dogs Eat Blueberries?

Can Dogs Eat Strawberries?

Shop All Dog Supplies Now